Thursday, April 18, 2013

How Often?

No organization here.
About once every week, I take a few minutes to sort my tie racks which have been picked through and scattered about like $5 DVDs in a Walmart bin.  Each morning I put on my shirt and slacks before grabbing a handful of potential ties and playing some sort of elimination game until I'm satisfied with the final selection.  At the end of the day, these ties are draped over the most convenient rack.  It just so happens that this rack generally features my bow tie collection, and thus my daily habit inevitably tends to obscure them.

And this just simply won't do because I've made a conscious decision to wear the bow ties more often.  But having long indulged this desire on the weekends, I hope to begin employing this policy during the workweek.  The only question remaining in my mind is:  how often?

To serve as a reminder of my new
objective, I will keep these in plain view.

I think this question really depends on stature.  Being only a couple years out of college, I cannot claim to be a well-established professional like Winston Churchill or Justice John Paul Stevens who possessed the necessary gravitas to wear it nearly everyday.  Conversely, there is hardly any prohibition against my wearing it frequently.  In the search for a reasonable balance, I have decided to start by sporting the stylish neck ornament about once a month.  I think it will be a modest yet sophisticated approach, which in my mind is the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment