Sunday, June 9, 2013

Business Casual Is a Mistake

Whose work would you trust? GQ has some tips to make business casual better.

"Business casual is a mistake."  These are not the words of neck wear retailers or of yours truly.  This is the declaration of a senior partner in one of the nation's top law firms in her Litigation Journal article titled "I Don't Feel Your Pain:  A Partner's View of Associates."  As a young man aspiring to succeed in my professional endeavors (and upgrade my closet threads along the way), the senior counsel's statement captures my complete attention.

An associate at my firm shared the article with me because she thought that I would appreciate it.  And I sure did!  Writing from a partner's perspective, the author shared what are clearly some golden suggestions that any young associate ought to heed.  She went on to address a variety professional issues and concerns that she has noted among budding young lawyers including smart phone etiquette, time entry (billing hours), work ethic, and general professional communication skills.  But above all, one subheading dominated my ever-demanding curiosity:  "Dress for Success."  It pulled no punches for either sex:

"Business casual is a mistake.  The most successful partner I work with, a brilliant guy with a huge book of business, wears a suit and tie everyday.  He inspires confidence not just because he's a great lawyer but because he is an imposing figure. ... Women who dress like Barbie dolls get treated like Barbie dolls.  Bare is never the right look when you are in lawyer mode."

Simply stated, yet clear and precise.  The author also points out the obvious, an unkempt appearance will suggest poor organization and sloppy work.  You may look like a million bucks once or twice, but your bosses and supervisors will notice if you make a habit of careless or dirty comportment - and that won't help you.  If you wish to be successful, dress accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment