Sunday, June 16, 2013

Reclaiming Ivy League

 
I am not averse to wearing certain types of used clothing.  Thrift is a virtue, although I understand that some might not be able to tolerate the thought of donning another man's tailored relic.  Their loss, my gain.  I keep a particularized eye trained on two major elements of a gentleman's wardrobe in the used menswear market:  odd jackets and neck wear.  Sorry, I could never wear someone else's shoes.

From a business and professional perspective, suits ought to be well tailored and maintained in pristine condition.  As such, I generally buy them new and see that they are cared for.  They are much like the fine china of my wardrobe - show pieces brought out for the proper occasions and stored with exceptional care when not in use.

In cases where a suit is not required, odd jackets can afford a great diversity of pattern and detailing to the stylish man seeking yet a new dimension to explore.  My own collection is designed to add yet another element - condition.  It adds the appearance of depth to my wardrobe and there are often situations where I wish to chisel away from rigid formality to display a softer yet stylish comfort.

Today I brought out a recently acquired Brooks Brothers houndstooth sports coat for its inaugural use (on my back anyway).  It was used, well-used as a matter of fact.  But after dry cleaning and some minor repairs, it was ready to anchor my "Ivy League" inspired Sunday outfit.  With some delicate care, I hope to be able to breathe some life back into this classic piece.  It will be my own little reclamation project.

My favorite detail is not the houndstooth, but the working button holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment